SC - Palladius, tamarind, buckwheat, soap

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 03:17:01 PST 1998

> Hi, Cairistiona here.

	I make bold to try to answer some of Cairstiona's questions

> 1.  Deidre, tamarind is the fruit of a tree.  It looks rather like a
> large runner bean, and is distinctly sour to taste.  It is usually
> marketed dried, sometimes with the seeds removed.  You soak it in
> boiling water and then strain, using the liquid to give sharpness to
> the food.  I've usually used it in Indonesian cookery, although I
> have also seen it in Thai, Indian and Filipino stuff (hot and sour
> soup - yum! - if OOP).  My lord saw the trees growing on Zanzibar a
> couple of years ago.

	I'm another fan, gives a characteristic depth of flavour as well as
sourness to Indian cooking

>  I don't know if they are period.  I assume
> they would not figure in European known-world food, at any rate.  Ras?
> Elizabeth?  Someone??

	Nope, never seen it in European medieval cooking.

> 3.  Is buckwheat (and presumably its relation, rhubarb) period?

	Never seen any mention of buckwheat in Western European medieval
cooking (and I've recently been looking at bread) - I'd try Elizabeth Davids
'Bread and Yeast Cookery' personally for recipes.

	On Rhubarb - it was used in period but strictly medicinal in use,
for it's well-known ability to cleanse the system!  I understand the rhubarb
which is eaten for pleasure is a different variety, which was imported from
China in the 18th century.

	Hope that helps

	Caroline