TV and BSE? (was: SC - Galingale and Brains)

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 17 17:50:08 PST 1998

> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:24:18 -0600
> From: "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
> Subject: RE: TV and BSE? (was: SC - Galingale and Brains)
>
> > On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Yeldham, Caroline S wrote:
> >
> > > Come to think of it, you do - thats what the Oprah case in Texas was
> > about.
> > > Over here selling nervous tissue of cows and I think sheep, is banned
> > > because of BSE and worries about the new form of CJD.
> >
> > And I who thought Oprahs' show in itself was _proof_ that BSE does exist
> > in the US...
> >
> > /UlfR
> >
> > If not that, then daytime soaps clearely are.
> >
> > --
> > Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
> >
> I fear you are confusing genetic deficiency with disease induced impairment.

<snort> Well, taking your comment at face value, which I'm not certain
is your intent-- there is indeed a genetic marker found in the British
BSE/CJD victims that indicates a susceptibility/weakness to the protein
deformation that causes a very cruel disease.

This is what I get growing up with a Mom and StepDad with Ph.Ds in
microbiology. E.coli and its antics were standard dinner table fare.

> In any case, there have been no reported cases of BSE in the U.S. and only
> one case in Canada.  The truly serious threats are tuberculosis and
> brucelosis, which don't rate high on the Oprah Shock Value Scale.
>
> Bear

That's correct. One can toss bone meal over one's roses and vegetable
garden with (relative) impunity in these parts.

ciorstan