SC - Viking and early Irish foods

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Wed Mar 18 09:06:33 PST 1998

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, morganna wrote:

> I have been wanting to do a Viking or an early Irish (pre elizabethan)
> feast.
> Morganna

My lady,
your problem here is that there really -isn't- anything to link the raw
ingredients type of information from archaeology with the actually food
served at table.  your best sources are literary.  look for descriptions
of feasts and meals. draw what you can from these.  Ann Hagan's really
excellent handbooks on Anglo-Saxon food are your next source.  They meet
your time criteria if not your locality.  For literary sources try some of
the sagas (written down in the 13th and 14th century but supposedly
representing a much earlier life-style).  And there is an excellent
article on food in the Bayeaux Tapestry in the 1995 ACTA on Medieval Food
and Drink from SUNY Binghamton.  IF you don't have access to it, send me a
postal address and I will make you a photocopy.

Elaina