SC - Viking and early Irish foods

Par Leijonhuvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Thu Mar 19 01:14:11 PST 1998

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, KKimes1066 wrote:

> -- or that the native food was so unappetizing, that even the natives
> couldn't stomach it all the time!!

Whats wrong with whale and seal? Finnish style all-rye, sourdough bread
with whole fishes baked in (not documentable, but nice anyway)? Herring?
Mutton? Goat? Beef? Pork? Game? Honey? Pike? Perch? Salmon? Apples?
Wheat, rye, barley, oats? Linseeds? Chickens? Skyr?  Cheese?
Blueberries?  Lingonberries? Bunch of different root veggies?  Peas?
Sloe?  Elderberries? Hazelnuts? Mustard?  Horseradish? Eggs? Plums?
Several different herbs?

> Having grown up in north central Iowa, where the Nelsons outnumber
> the Smith, Browns, and Joneses combined, I am firmly convinced that
> I know the real reason the Norse went a viking.--- Lutefiske!---

> Rotten Cod, the real impetus of northern europe's naval technology.

It is _NOT_ rotten. Just dried and soaked in lye. And it's traditionally
ling, not cod. The rotten _shark_ is Icelandic, and I don't know if it
is documented as period.

/UlfR
Who's more nationalistic about the Viking age Scandinavia than about
modern day Sweden.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
Listen to the fool's reproach! It is a kingly title!
                --William Blake