SC - Viking and early Irish foods

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at phd.com
Thu Mar 19 08:20:47 PST 1998

Hmm, First I'll give a genuine response, and Second I'll give my initial
response
> Whats wrong with whale and seal? Finnish style all-rye, sourdough
bread
> with whole fishes baked in (not documentable, but nice anyway)?
Herring?
> Mutton? Goat? Beef? Pork? Game? Honey? Pike? Perch? Salmon? Apples?
> Wheat, rye, barley, oats? Linseeds? Chickens? Skyr?  Cheese?
> Blueberries?  Lingonberries? Bunch of different root veggies?  Peas?
> Sloe?  Elderberries? Hazelnuts? Mustard?  Horseradish? Eggs? Plums?
> Several different herbs?

What do we know of these as being on the table of the average Norse
Viking?
Which of these ingredients were served, and which were added later to
the menu?
and besides, an ingredients list does not tell of actual foods and
preparation.
The point was that much of the evidence cited on this list seems to
indicate that the Norse used a lot of cookbooks and preparation
techniques imported from the rest of Europe.

> > Rotten Cod, the real impetus of northern Europe's naval technology.

> It is _NOT_ rotten. Just dried and soaked in lye.
and then buried in the ground in jars for months, then rehydrated,
changing the water 7 times.
if the fish is not rotten, then the idea certainly is!

Brandu's Initial response:

> Whats wrong with whale and seal?
Stop blubbering!

> Finnish style all-rye, sourdough bread
(Er)got me there!

> with whole fishes baked in (not documentable, but nice anyway)?
Finnish cooks work for scale?

> Herring?
I'm hard of herring

> Mutton?
Nuttin, what's a mutton wid you?

> Goat?
and matching Hat and Scarf.

> Beef?
Change that "f" to "r"

> Pork?
Knife and Spoon

> Game?
ok, how about "Miller in the Middle"

> Honey?
Yes, Sweetlumps?

> Pike?
Christopher T, Captain of the Enterprise

> Perch?
on a tree?

> Salmon?
Chanted evening, you will meet a stranger...

> Apples?
An Itsy bit o cider poured down the waterspout...

> Wheat, rye, barley, oats?
Shipped to Rome in great big boats,
Crassus tried to keep the bread
so Caesar sliced off his head!

> Linseeds?
an oily notion

> Chickens?
Sold by the Peck?

> Skyr?
Like Picabo Street?

> Cheese?
<click>

> Blueberries?
what can we do to cheer them up?

> Lingonberries?
they served these outside the Ford theater, in John Wilkes' booth...

> Bunch of different root veggies?
from seller top Cellar?

> Peas?
and tank you

> Sloe?
Not really, but I'm not as fast as I used to be

> Elderberries?
Now they are the ones that are REALLY sloe!

> Hazelnuts?
Possible, but she is at least a good housekeeper.

> Mustard?
use the bathroom

> Horseradish?
smaller than elephant garlic?

> Eggs?
actly!

> Plums?
and level, good building standards

> Several different herbs?
smoke on the water....

> It is _NOT_ rotten. Just dried and soaked in lye. And it's
traditionally
> ling, not cod. The rotten _shark_ is Icelandic, and I don't know if it
> is documented as period.
I think a sharks have been rotting for a long time, and probably in
period.