SC - spices vs. herbs?

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Mar 23 02:02:17 PST 1998

Herbs are defined as a plant with a fleshy stem (as opposed to the woody
stem of shrubs or trees) which generally dies back at the end of the
growing season. Are often aromatic plants used in medicine or as a
seasoning.

Spices are defined as any of various aromatic and pungent vegetable
substances such as cinnamon or nutmeg, used to flavor foods or beverages.

The main difference is that spices can come from woody type plants. As a
rule of thumb, if you can grow it conveniently in the temperate zone, it's
an herb, if you have to get it from some other part of the world with a
different climate, it's a spice.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

: I have a question that I have been wondering about for awhile.
:
: When is an item a spice and when is it considered an herb?
: