SC - Specialty meats (was re: white shield feast)

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Mar 23 02:09:31 PST 1998

Hey, Stefan,

We had a bit of a thread on goat a while back. Here is one of the recipes I
collected.:

Good day to all, from Allegra Beati.  My version of the following recipe,
from Platina, has been a huge success both in the SCA and even among my
very non-SCA family.

The recipe calls for kid, but I remember seeing something in my studies of
humoural theory in period that lamb is an acceptable substitute for kid.
Boneless leg of lamb is easily obtained in Albuquerque, NM (I get mine at
Costco, the price varying a little throughout the year), and I use that in
this version. Obtaining the baby goat is a problem (unless you want to
order the entire 35-pound critter).  I've heard rumors of goat being
traditional to some hispanic festivals here in the Rio Grande Valley, but
I'm unaware of the time of year these festivals take place and which
markets are most likely to carry goat.  It's a shame-- I love both goat
and lamb!

I'm sorry that I can only give you the recipe as translated-- I cook like
the recipes read.  I'm not a "measuring" cook by any means, although since
starting a cookery group here, I've been making a habit of writing down
procedures and quantities for future reference (and future cooks!)  I
suppose that means I'll have to make this dish again soon....

Making the leg of lamb in advance for a camping event is quite simple-- I
wrap the cooked roast in foil, seal-a-meal it, and stick it in the
freezer.  I also put the cooked juices in a plastic container, and freeze
them as well.  At the event, I allow time for the frozen lamb to thaw, and
then slice it and warm it in a covered dutch oven with the saved juices.

Although I don't have a copy here, I've always used the general
temperature and timetable instructions for lamb as given in _The Joy of
Cooking_.

>From _De Honesta Voluptate_, by Platina (Mallinckrodt edition):

	KID IN GARLIC

Grease a whole kid or the fourth part of one, with lard and cleaned garlic
cloves; put it on a spit and turn it near the fire.  Baste it often with
sprigs of bay leaf or rosemary and the sauce which I am about to describe.
Take verjuice and the rich juice of the meat, the yolks of two eggs well
beaten, two cloves of garlic well pounded, a dash of saffron and a little
pepper and mix this all together and pour it into a dish.  With this (as I
said), you baste what you are cooking.  When it is cooked, put it into a
dish and pour part of the sauce over it and sprinkle with finely chopped
parsley.  This food, when it is well cooked, should be served quickly and
not let cool.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Kat said:
:
: >I get comments like that all the time.  Witnessing how fast my geese and
my
: >salmon disappeared, however; I think I'm going to start getting a little
: >braver.  Maybe next time I'll do goat... :-)
:
: I don’t remember goat being mentioned very much before here. I assume
: goat was a medieval food. Was it not common in some areas?
:
: Does anyone have any good medieval recipes for goat? Considering that
: we do have some tex-mex resturants that do serve cabrito, I can probably
: find goat meat here in central Texas.
:
: Stefan li Rous
: stefan at texas.net