SC - spices vs. herbs?

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 05:03:03 PST 1998

In a message dated 3/23/98 1:31:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< sorting them by spices being dried and herbs being
 fresh, but I’m not sure that that is the dividing line between
 spices and herbs. Is there a good one?

 Thanks.
   Stefan li Rous
   stefan at texas.net >>

IMO, the line between herbs and spices is somewhat blurred. The rule of thumb
I use is if an item is being referred to as an ingredient which provides
arromatic, flavor or medicinal properties and qualities to a dish then it is
an herb or spice whether fresh or dried..

In the arena of cookery herbs used as the main ingredient in a dish are almost
always referred to as "greens" or "leafy vegetables". Perhaps there is no easy
way to define them. Hearing the word "spinach" or "Swiss Chard", for instance,
never creates a mental image of "herb" in my mind but the word "oregano"
automatically does so.

Most cookery books use the term herb to refer to leafy aromatics wheresas
seeds, bark and roots are almost always referred to as spices. Sorry to addto
the confusion. :-)

Ras