SC - Sugar Maples

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 24 06:43:34 PST 1998

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Par Leijonhuvud wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Par Leijonhuvud wrote:
>
> I had a look in my field guides before I left for work this morning. The
> Sugar Maple is Acer saccharum, while the only maple species in
> Scandinavia are A. platanoida, A. campestre and A. pseudoplanus. There
> is, of course, a possiblity that the A. saccharum does exist further
> south, but I don't think so.

I remember from my dendrology class that while A. platanoida is an
invasive (from Europe...) that it supposedly makes an OK syrup, just not
as sweet.  This is the maple with long petioles that drops it leaves last
because it is a non-native.  It is common here, so you should be able to
find it (well, at least it is common in Michigan).