SC - Re: [Mid] 16 Things you never tell a cop...

Karen Lyons-McGann dvkld.dev at mhs.unc.edu
Thu Mar 26 07:02:55 PST 1998

Subject: SC - Re: [Mid] 16 Things you never tell a cop...
*********************
leave the rest of the post attatched to my posting as I found it very
helpful when I was new to the lists, and if you
see my signature, you know I'm done, and you have the rest of the posting
for quick referrence
.>snip<(SCA-Cook is)  a list which normally posts all of a post in order
to say "I agree" at the very end.
phlip at morganco.net
********************

Does SCA-Cook  embrace this theory, or do some people just do it because
other people do?  The standard on every other SCA and non SCA lists I've
been on through the years is that it is rude to keep reposting material
that everyone on the list has already read.   I've posted here the same
sort of gentle reminder not to do so that I've seen from time to time on
most lists when it gets out of hand.  If that was inappropriate, I
apologize, but I too am ready to go back to just reading Cariodoc's
Miscellany instead of trying to actively learn from the other cooks.

I read the list in digest form, and I read it at work. It's a real
inconvenience to have to scroll past repeating copies of previous
messages, and a real disappointment that the 2 or 3 digests a day will
contain so little new information and so much repetitiveness. Sometimes I
print it out to read on my bus ride home, and more than half the digest
is unneccesary repetition.  Reading the digest to find useful comments is
like trying to fix a quick snack in a dirty kitchen, all the piles of
waste and dirty dishes make it a harder and less enjoyable task than it
needs to be.

Including most or all of a previous post is sometimes needed. The active
translation of the French poem/recipe really needed all the inclusion in
order to keep up with the various opinions.  Notice though, that that
series of posts followed the pattern of snipping and responding with
specific comments and explanations.  Most of the time a minimal reference
to the previous post such as that is all that is needed.  People can
rummage through where ever they keep already read messages if they need
to see the previous in it's entirety, and ask for a public or private
re-post if they've managed to completely discard it as well as forget the
gist of it.  Which sometimes does happen if you originally thought you
weren't interested in a topic.

Anne