SC - Mmmm... Garum!

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Fri Mar 27 06:00:06 PST 1998

I picture the result as a wonderful medium for bacteria. As a devout coward,
urge you to be careful.

CorwynWdwd at aol.com

well, water is the medium that the bugs live in, which is why a concentrated
sugar like honey usually won't support a large enough colony of bugs, as
well as the saline content of a liquid being hypertonic enough to explode
the little beggers by pulling all the water out of them, so if the salt or
acetic acid is strong enough, or there is enough water removed from the
solution I don't see a problem. After all, I have regularly kept the
worchester sauce on my counter and never had any problem with it, and the
typical bottle goes in about a month. Yes, I use 'modern Garum' about as
much as the romans used theirs...
margali
who still loves to point out to people that the bizzare ingredient combos
are not just roman. ever looked at the ingredients of worchester, a-1 or
many other proprietary sauces...?