SC - Le Menagier

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Mar 27 17:40:03 PST 1998

At 9:21 AM -0500 3/23/98, Ceridwen wrote:

>We have looked at
>the middle-class menus in Janet Hinson's translation as a guideline, but
>have found that many of the menu items do not appear to be among the
>recipes given, and we realize that we will need to add in some items to
>balance the menu for current tastes (don't want an all-meat and fish
>feast).

If there are recipes you are interested in finding which aren't in
Menagier, ask.  There is a lot of overlap in what is in the various French
and English cookbooks from around that time, and I may be able to find you
a contemporary recipe for some of the things he refers to but doesn't give
a recipe for.

My current thoughts are to ignore the menus, since we can't seem
>to find all the recipes, ...

Even if you can't follow the menus exactly, it may still be worth looking
at them to get a feel for what menus of that time were like.

> and choose from the listed recipes to make up
>the menu, however, the differences between the translations are
>confusing when it come to redacting recipes.

If you have questions on specific recipes, email me privately and ask.  Any
time someone does a translation he has to make choices on how to translate
words or phrases which do not have an exact modern English equivalent; I
may be able to tell you what the possiblilties suggested by the original
French were.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook