SC - Re: pasties

Mary Hysong ladymari at gila.net
Sun Mar 1 14:56:28 PST 1998

Tim Allison wrote:

> You mention making pasties with ground beef instead of mushroom. In what
> way do these differ from the traditional Cornish pasty-which I certainly
> thought was period?
> Caroline
>
>  Carol Mitchell

********************************
Having been well educated by my dear friend, Lady Lyddy,in many things Cornish.
I'll drop my tu'pence in:  Pasties could have anything in them!  Mostly they
seem to have had fish, but they could have any sort of thing put in them,
including something like fruit pie filling.  BTW Lyddy tells me they did not eat
the crust which was tough and thick, nothing like our flakey pastry of today.
The reason they didn't eat it was because of the tin in the mines getting on
their hands, ect.  the pastry was more of a holder for the filling, at least for
the miners taking them to work for lunch.  Of course most of this can't be
documented past 18th or 17th century, but the tin mines in Cornwall was one of
the reasons the Romans invaded Britain..........  Lady Lyddy is doing a lot of
research on period Cornish stuff and is secretary of the Arizona Cornish
Society.  Her e-mail is

yolyddy at gila.net      just put Cornish in the subject to get her attention.

Cheers

Maistreas Mairi Broder
Silver Quill Pursiavant
Kingdom of Atenveldt

{Mary Hysong, Arizona, terribly glad to be back online after 4 months w/o a
computer.....}