[Fwd: SC - Re: pasties]

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Mar 6 15:32:15 PST 1998

At 1:08 PM -0600 3/6/98, Decker, Terry D. wrote:
>The oven in question appears to be a derivative of the cloche oven.  The
>cloche oven consists of a clay bake stone covered with a clay bowl, usually
>with a handle on the base of the bowl.  An Athenian example can be seen in
>the illustrations of Elizabeth David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery.

If I understand you correctly, the oven tells us nothing about the shape of
what was baked in it, other than giving a maximum size. I had thought from
Lady Lyddy's post that it might be something the pasty was somehow formed
around or shaped in, so that its shape would support her assertion (if I
understand it) that period pasties looked like modern Cornish pasties.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/