SC - Re: Fw: [Mid] Peers and their Belted Dependents and Communication

Mary Hysong ladymari at gila.net
Mon Mar 9 15:24:59 PST 1998

LrdRas wrote:

> In a message dated 3/9/98 1:19:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, phlip at morganco.net
> writes:
>
> << so please tell me how this all works! Thank you in advance for
>  : helping me!
>  :
>  :
>  :                              Just a curious Peer dependent,
>  :                              Lady Saradwen Ariandalen >>
>
> I really don't know what to tell you here but I am in the same delema. After
> 11 years and hundreds of hours of service and excellence in my field, I can
> only say that it is ,my opinion that peereages are basically guiven by whim of
> the Crown. Granted that at least in the East Peers are polled as to the
> suitability of candidates, ultimately there opinion is in reality meaningless
> and the Crown makes the final choise.

[snipped rest of message]

I am newly a Laurel and have yet to sit in on a Laurel circle, but....here in
Atenveldt what usually happens {as I understand it, having not yet been there
myself} is that Their Majesties listen to the Peers in a meeting of each order,
making their recommendations for or against various people that they know becoming
a member of their orders.  {usually with the following in mind for ANY order:  Do
they do ______well {arts, service, fight}  Have they also learned things that
pertain to the other orders? For example, does the fighter dance or make their own
garb?  Does the artisan have some feel for how SCA fighting works, do both
fighters and artisans serve their groups in some manner as officer, autocrat,
ect.?}  After a persons name has come up in several circles with steady, strong
recommendations from the Order that they be elevated, well, then that's when TM
might do it.  ALSO, attitude  can be everything!! I know many talented people, and
hard workers and good fighters who have been playing a long time and are not yet
peers.  I DON"T KNOW why they are not Peers yet, but perhaps they are given to
quarrals?  Perhaps they are too loudly expressing dissent with the Crown, perhaps
they need some lessons in grace, courtesy, chivalry, and the art of [like Granny
used to say] if they can't say something nice about someone, just keep your mouth
shut? [lets face it, some people are more tactful than others] I don't know if
that is why some people have not been elevated or not, but that is some food for
thought.

Mairi