SC - Spice query (was recipe with long spice list)

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 02:27:02 PST 1998

I'd echo David/Cariodac's query about tumeric.

Scully in 'The Art of Cookery' quotes the inventory of Pegalotti (1315 -
1340), a Florentine grocer who stocked amongst other things, "anise, pepper,
white, black and long, ginger (6 types), tumeric, cinnamon, cassia buds,
cassia, caraway, grains of paradise, sugars (8 types) alum, mastic, zedoary,
cloves, clove stalks, clove leaves, nutmegs, cubebs, cardamons, galingale,
mace, cumin, carobs, aloes, saffron, grape wines, quince wine, pomegranate
wine, honey, molasses, carob syrup, dates, figs, currants, pistachios",

but I haven't seen any recipes with tumeric, zedoary (or alum, aloes or
mastic for that matter).  Any ideas anyone?  Could they be medicinal?
Scully mentions pomegranate wine as given in cases of illness.

BTW John Hervey gives the The 'Fromond' List of Plants of c. 1500, a list of
plants grown in England (including artichokes!) and also including
galingale, which did surprise me, as I assumed it was imported.  I'd be
interested in comments.

Caroline