SC - Serving brains...

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Mar 16 18:41:57 PST 1998

In a message dated 3/16/98 6:41:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, korny at zikzak.net
writes:

<< What are others' experiences in serving unpopular food such as this at
 feasts?  I am still very tempted to serve it as a side dish - there must be
 *some* people brave enough to try it. >>

My advise is do it. A side dish would be appropriate. Many on this list know
that I tend to serve which is not familiar to the majority of modern palattes.
Yet, I have none of the problems that I often hear other people talking about.

Even the Eel pies, which Thorstien made for the Roasted Roc Feast, were not
wasted. These recieved the most disapproval of the populace but within minutes
of the ending of the feast, all the left-over eel pie had went with campers
back to their tent sites.

It has been my experience that if enough variety and quality is put into a
feast there will always be enough variety for everyone to be satisfied. The
inclusion of unusual dishes from time to time is an adventure for both the
cook and the serious diner.

The entire nature of feasts has been transforming itself over the past several
years, to the point where almost every feast I attend is a serious attempt at
reproducing period cuisine. Most have been wonderful memories. A few have just
been memories, ;-)

The balance between what is recognizable to the MacDonald's gourmet as food
and what is expected by those wishing to experience Medieval Cuisine at it's
finest is not impossible to achieve and by doing so , we add to the education
of less educated palattes. :-)

Ras