SC - Diseases.

Wed Mar 18 11:24:15 PST 1998

> I don't know if you are aware of it, folks, but Black Plague, or Bubonic
> plague, is considered endemic in the Western US. Many people there when
> tested show positive for the antibodies, and there are about 6-15 actually
> documented cases per year. It's been on the uprise a bit too, mostly
> believed to be because of homeless people living outdoors.
>

> phlip at morganco.net

You also have been having bumper crops of indigenous rodents, which are the
vector.  The endemic plague in the U.S. is a non-pnuemonic form which
entered the country from Asia in the first part of this century.  It spread
from the rat population to other flea carrying rodents and has been slowly
working its way east.  A few years ago we had a case out in the Oklahoma
Panhandle and nothing since.

Bear