SC - Viking and early Irish foods

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Mar 18 16:40:18 PST 1998

Don't suppose you could make two copies of this article? Pretty please?

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, morganna wrote:
:
: > I have been wanting to do a Viking or an early Irish (pre elizabethan)
: > feast.
: > Morganna
:
: My lady,
: your problem here is that there really -isn't- anything to link the raw
: ingredients type of information from archaeology with the actually food
: served at table.  your best sources are literary.  look for descriptions
: of feasts and meals. draw what you can from these.  Ann Hagan's really
: excellent handbooks on Anglo-Saxon food are your next source.  They meet
: your time criteria if not your locality.  For literary sources try some of
: the sagas (written down in the 13th and 14th century but supposedly
: representing a much earlier life-style).  And there is an excellent
: article on food in the Bayeaux Tapestry in the 1995 ACTA on Medieval Food
: and Drink from SUNY Binghamton.  IF you don't have access to it, send me a
: postal address and I will make you a photocopy.
:
: Elaina
:
: