SC - Ostrich, and cruelty to geese

Jessica Tiffin melesine at ilink.nis.za
Thu Mar 19 08:20:44 PST 1998

Greetings, the list!

At some stage in the dim, distant past, kat wrote:

<< Darkwood is a difficult place to try to serve "specialty meats;" and when
you consider the fact that out here they consider VENISON a specialty meat...
I could no more serve eel or ostrich here than fly to the moon.  I was pushing
it with the goose and the salmon...   >>

Ah, ostrich...  Given that this is readily and quite cheaply available in
South Africa: was it, in fact, eaten in period?  I know it was known as a
heraldic beastie and found in menageries (although my documentation for that
is a bit dicey... mere historical novels), but I've never heard of a recipe
- - has anyone else?  We have a Shire birthday feast coming up in may.  Mmmmm
- - whole roast ostrich.... always seemed to me to be the logical conclusion
to putting a lark inside a quail inside a chicken inside a goose inside a
pheasant, etc.

Another, totally unrelated query.  A non-SCA friend today came up with the
comment that she was put off the whole medieval thing by the really cruel
way they killed their animals for cooking.  She quoted a extract she'd seen
in the programme for a Shakespeare production,  which purported to be from a
medieval source she couldn't remember, and described cooking a goose by
plunging it alive into boiling water and killing it slowly.  I've never come
across anything like this in any medival sources with which I am familiar -
it sounds horribly like one of those "medieval people threw their food
around" sort of urban legends.  Can anyone identify this purported quote?

Back to lurking and drooling,

Melisant

Jessica Tiffin
melesine at ilink.nis.za  *  jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za