SC - Ostrich, and cruelty to geese

morganna themorrigan at softhome.net
Fri Mar 20 14:28:56 PST 1998

A related note:

The first year some of the guys in the house decided to cook a peacock -
they
even used my wrought iron spit (ya sure they good boys - no McDonalds
for them)
They bought it live, and had a buddy teather it and shoot it with his
bow - DOA first
shot. Sounds pretty humane to me.

Two of our newer shire member wanted to do it one better for our winter
revel.
They bought a peacock (the peacock farm thinks we are REALLY weird)
They and their room mate discovered that they had to kill it. I guess
one of the
cooks started to get soft and thought maybe it would make a good pet.
;-)
Finally the other roomie got out the axe and chopped its head off farm
style.
The end result was awesome.
The meat was wonderful, and they salted the pelt (and lined it with
foil) and did
the full feathers on presentation.

Has anyone else had to kill their meats for a feast?

We were offered a bunch of rabbits for a pittance - but we would have to
kill
them ourselves.. I think the neighbors would get a wee bit upset...

Morganna