SC - Lutefisk

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Mar 21 03:57:27 PST 1998

> Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 17:18:23 EST
> From: KKimes1066 <KKimes1066 at aol.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Lutefisk
>
> Yes, I have definately been forced to try this Norse delicacy.
> Granpa Lenus Olaf Hanson, (a second generation Swede) and
> Grandma Kate ( a second generation Norwegian) sat me down
> one day and made me eat a few spoonfuls. Yes it's true, if you
> put enough salt and butter on it, it tastes like salt and butter.
> But the smell of the preparation was enough to turn my stomach.
> Thank god for Lefse!
>                                          Percival

Well, I can't say I've ever heard anyone COMPLAIN about lefse in
connection with its role here... .

FWIW, many consider mustard essential in the proceedings, either mixed
with the melted butter, or on the side. I like it incorporated into the
sauce, and I think we agree that there are probably better things to eat
it with, too.

I'm not familiar with any specific lutefisk smell, except that of the
fish itself, which is almost unbelievably mild and sweet compared to,
say, less-than-fresh mackerel or bluefish. If the torsk was dried
properly, and stored properly, and reconstituted properly, it really
should have very little aroma. I wonder if perhaps the lutefisk you've
eaten was just bad lutefisk, or maybe you're just unusually sensitive.

Now, for those interested in a stench, I recommend you open a short loin
of well-aged beef wrapped in cryovac! Woof!

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com