SC - spices vs. herbs?

Nick Sasso grizly_nick at rocketmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:21:24 PST 1998

In case no one has replied, genarally accepted terms as have been
described and explained to me: an herb is the fresh or dried leaves
and/or stems of a plant used for some seasoning or concoction.  Spices
are anything else including seeds, bark, roots, seed pods, fruit,
animal parts, ground insects, etc.

fra niccolo difrancesco

- ---Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

> I have a question that I have been wondering about for awhile.
>
> When is an item a spice and when is it considered an herb?
>
> Currently I have files in my Florilegium for both spices-msg
> and herbs-msg (as well as herbs-cooking-msg). Often times,
> I’m not sure where a message should be placed. I believe I
> have been sorting them by spices being dried and herbs being
> fresh, but I’m not sure that that is the dividing line between
> spices and herbs. Is there a good one?
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan li Rous
>   stefan at texas.net