SC - Question concerning meat

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 26 07:57:10 PST 1998

It would be my guess that since many other laws didn't apply to us, as we
weren't even considered citizens.  They lived in thier own little
communities in general, and had their own butchers.  Now, my fiance, who
is is actually getting a degree in this stuff says that they made
"cholent", which was a mixture of mostly beans or some other thick pasty
thing and meat (if affordable) and the wife would put it in a baking dish
before the fires were put out on Friday night, and then the outer edges of
the oven were sealed to keep the heat in and then SAt afternoon it was
taken out and eaten.  IT was fully cooked, and still warm, but they would
have bought the meat on Thursday.  The only thing is that I don't know if
this was done in period.  Despina says that the "Memoirs of Gluekel of
Hamel," a period primary source written by a Jewish woman was written "she
thinks" in period.  She will check when she gets back to Chicago.  And
I will pore through it if it is period to pull out Jewish food.  I didn't
know she had this.  Honest, otherwise I would have added to our Jewish
food knowledge...

Running for the rock,
Bogdan