SC - European Grain/Legume combo?

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Mon Mar 30 04:47:50 PST 1998

Konstanza von Brunnenburg wrote:

>I am searching for any documented European dish that combined a grain (i.e.
>cereal grass) product with a legume (e.g. beans, peas) product  -- the
>trusty vegetarian "complete protein" combo.  So far I've only found this in
>a couple of  Arabic recipes -- Caradoc's translations of "Khichri" and
>"Counterfeit (Vegetarian) IsfÓ riy’ of Garbanzos".  I'd like to try
>substituting a grain/legume combo for meat in appropriate European recipes,
>and it would be great to be able to somehow *document* that a grain/legume
>combination was at least actually used in Period in (for example) England
>or Germany.  (Extra points for grain/legume documented as a Lenten
>substitute!)

As far as Lenten uses go, sometimes pea broth is suggested as a substitute
for meat broth during Lent. But that is broth and not the actual legumes. I
did find one recipe in Sabina Welserin that called for peas and bread
crumbs.

Ain seltzam baches

Nimm tir biren, wesch 3 lot erbis, seudts, vertreibs, nim ain gute
handtvoll geribes brot, mach mit der erbisbrie ain taiglin, ker die biren
darin vmb vnnd bachs, mach ain prielin, wie dus geren haben wilt.

An exotic pastry

Take dried pears. Wash one and one half ounces of peas, cook them, strain
them, take a handful of grated bread, make a batter with the pea puree,
turn the pears therein to coat them and fry them. Make a sauce, however you
would best like to have it.

Valoise