SC - Onions Eaten Raw

Phyllis Spurr Phyllis.Spurr at tdh.state.tx.us
Mon Mar 30 06:36:19 PST 1998

I grew up in Northern Kentucky and had never had what the rest of the
world calls Chili.  We grew up eating chili soup.  It consisted of a
soupy mixture of spaghetti, kidney beans, chili con carne, ground
meat and many spices that included cinnamon.  As the soup was served,
sweet pickle relish, raw onions, and cheese topped the soup and
cornbread was available to crumble into the soup.

I've been living in TX for close to seven years and my childhood
vision of chili soup has been set aside for the thick meaty chili of
the Southwest.

> From:          "Joseph Tolbert" <jlt11 at hotmail.com>
> Date:          Sun, 29 Mar 1998 20:48:30 PST

> Just a thought - has anyone else ever had Cincinatti (Ohio,USA)
> style chili ? This is chili,seasoned with cinnamon (originated
> by Greek cooks) served over spaghetti,and topped with beans
> chopped sweet pickle,grated cheeddar cheese,chopped RAW ONIONS,
> (and hot sauce available). . .The spice mixes are sold in stores
> in the area.
>
> Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr               jlt6 at hotmail.com

> >From: dkpirolo at cts.com
> >Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 07:43:26 +0300
> >
> >> From: Jeanne Stapleton <jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu>
> >((snip))
> >> Depending on my audience, heck, sometimes I'll even put diced
> >> onions in my spaghetti sauce instead of sauteeing them with meat.
> >>
> >> Berengaria
> >> Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
> >
> >YOu mean I have been doing it wrong all these years by putting raw
> diced
> >onions in my spaghetti sauce to cook?  Oh the shame--how will I live
> with
> >myself?
> >Celestria--
> >
> >Are there any creamed onion recipes in period?  I think onion pie is
> >period--but then you know, I just love onions.

Meistres Eowyn ferch Rhys
Barony of Elfsea, Ansteorra  (Fort Worth, Texas)
Central Regional Seneschal
e-mail:  Phyllis.Spurr at tdh.state.tx.us
office phone:  (817) 264-4384
home phone:    (817) 460-1539