SC - Potluck feasts / was SC-kitchens

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Mar 31 10:02:23 PST 1998

I had posted:
******
>I find that something helps encourage folks to bring medieval food is ME
>bringing medieval food and very prominently labelling it as such.

This is one of the things I try to do in Bryn Gwlad with the items I
bring to pot lucks. Usually I print the original recipe in large type
on a sheet of paper along with the redaction. I give both the original
source and where the redaction can be found,
******

>Food for thought:

>A label is good, but as for all the other documentation, be careful not
>to over do it!  Somone will say the above described isn't much
>documentation. From a newbie's perspective, it's a daunting thought that
>one must research a dish and type up a page on it as well as shopping and
>cooking.  Are you discouraging rank beginners by giving the impression
>that just bringing something they think is period but they don't know for
>sure, isn't good enough?

I don’t think this is the case. Of the twenty or thirty dishes at the
pot luck only one or two have such documentation. A few others may have
cards indicating that they are period dishes. I don’t think there is
any indication that this is expected when such a small minority of
dishes have this and a number of dishes are in plastic disposable boxes
with names such as HEB and Albertson’s on them.

Part of my documentation (the ingredient list) I would want to post
anyway to help those that might have allergies.

Often I wish people would label even the modern dishes as I’d like to
know what they are before I take a big spoon of them.

>Anne-Marie was kind enough to send along her list of ready-made stuff
>that could be considered not modern, if not period exactly, and her set
>of easy recipes.    It's like babysteps to period cooking, and anyone
>wanting to encourage more period cooking should see hers or work up
>something similar on their own.

I’m hardly up to elaborate dishes (period or mundane). Part of my idea
is to show that even a newbie cook can produce simple period dishes.
You should have seen my period fried cheese a few months ago. It hardly
had the appearance of being produced by an experienced cook. :-) But I
didn’t take home any leftovers, either.

Another good source for simple period dishes and lists of off the shelf
period items is “Travelling Dyshes” by Siobhan O’Roarke (sp?).

>Anne

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net