SC - chickpea flour

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat May 2 16:22:56 PDT 1998

<< Wouldn't it be great to have an on-line university? >>

To which Conneach replied:

>I have a nasty habbit of having too many interests and not enough time.
>I get a little tired of trying to find good research 6 months after everyone else
>(who was interested) has taken a class and forgotten it.

This was in part one of the reasons I started my Florilegium files.
Conversations on
newsgroups and maillists tend to go in cycles. Some reappear almost every month,
others I don't see but every few years or so. Some are new. I first started saving
messages, so I would have them when I finally got around to needing them. Then I
just sort of expanded it to keep topics that others might find useful.

Christine Harley then said:
>We will need 1 or more librarians (no,
>I'm not voluntering!;)) and a website.  When you have something new to add
>to the library, you send it to the librarian/s for submition.  It will
>then be added at the librarians' discrection.  So what do you think?

This is essentially how I run the Florilegium files. Much of what I put in
the files comes from messages that I have seen on various networks. But if
I don't see it, I can't consider it for the files. If you see something on
a list that you think others would be interested in, particularly from a list
I'm not on, if you send it to me, I will consider adding it. Currently I
am on SCA-Cooks, SCA-Arts, Ansteorra and the Rialto (rec.org.sca). That
leaves lots of other lists but I barely have time for the ones I'm on now.

I am also looking for stand-alone articles. If something has not been posted
to a public list, I prefer it to be sent to me by the author. Although I
can work around this if for instance, the author doesn't have email, but I
can get permission from the author to add it to the Florilegium.

Christine, I am NOT discouraging you from starting a parallel effort. I
will warn you though that it can take a lot of time, even just acting as
editor and not author, usually one to two hours per day. My files are also
about 30 Mbytes in size even counting just one file format. Be aware that
what seems like a lot of space on your website might not last very long,
even for text files. If it wasn't for the efforts of Greg Lindahl (Gregory
Blount) you probably wouldn't see my files online.

Lord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Ansteorra
stefan at texas.net