SC - chickpea flou rking arthur flour

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun May 3 17:47:34 PDT 1998

margali said:

The only thing that really pops into my mind- when did garlic get into
common use in the British Isles? I seem to think that onions were used more
often, being local and traditional with game birds...and the use of garlic
wasn't prevalent in W.W.II[my dad is here and he spent several months there
before the war, and again afterwards-the wonders of a military career. I
just asked him and he really doesn't remember garlic, but lots of onions,
parsley, marjoram, thyme, horseradish and pepper.]

- -----------
Well, the following excerpt is from my garlic-msg file and was posted to
this list last May. It may well be that garlic had gone out of style
in England when your father was there or wartime supply problems had
limited it use. There were some comments on this list about saffron being
common in medieval recipes and fading in use later.

However, I would love to have more info about garlic use in either
England or the continent in medieval times. I don't know if the dishes
mentioned below would have been cooked in England or not.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

========================
Garlic was grown all over Europe. It doesn't seem to figure especially
heavily in court cookery, but it may have been used extensively in
lower-class households. Recipes survive for Aquapatys, a dish of
semi-pureed, boiled garlic, served on toast sops, and for Sawse Madame,
which is a stuffing of fruit (i.e.grapes) and garlic cloves, roasted
inside poultry and made into a sauce with the drippings. This last is a
favorite of mine. Plain roasted garlic sounds vaguely Provencale to me;
I haven't heard of any evidence of its periodicity, but that means
nothing.

Adamantius