SC - chickpea flour

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Sun May 3 18:29:40 PDT 1998

Anne-Marie said:

>How about a list of foods that are easily recognisable by the biggest food
>weenie, are readily available/easy to make AND are documentably period?

<snip>
>- --meatloaf (sans the oatmeal...use bread crumbs and flavor with fresh
>herbs)

This could make a useful start for a message file for the Florilegium. Since
it would give some non-cooks some ideas of easy period-like foods for pot
lucks and such. There is a similar list in "Traveling Dyshes".

However, why do you say meatloaf without oatmeal? I was unaware that
oatmeal was a common filler for modern meatloaf. But besides that, I would
think oats would be a reasonable filler for medieval foods. Were oats not
used this way? Or do all the medieval recipes that we would class as
*meatloaf* not use any oats?

Thanks.
   Stefan li Rous
   stefan at texas.net