SC - Quince

Lillian Johnston LillianJ at bethlehem.org.au
Sun May 3 20:57:42 PDT 1998

On Sun, 3 May 1998 08:34:59 +0200 (MET DST) Par Leijonhufvud
<parlei at algonet.se> writes:
>On Sat, 2 May 1998, marilyn traber wrote:

>>. Many>> mundanes who are willing to come, if they don't HAVE to dress
>'funny' and>> eat weird food will not come if they won't be able to eat
the >familiar>> foods.

>No offence intended, but I keep seeing this kind of practice every now
>and then, and can't keep from wondering if this is actually for the
>better of our Society. Perhaps we shouldn't "con" those without a
genuine interest in things medieval into the SCA?

>/UlfR
>Donning his most flame-resistant woolen garb, just in case someone see
this as a flame (it is not).
>>--
>Par Leijonhufvud                           parlei(at)algonet.se
 >http://www.algonet.se/~parlei

I understand what you are saying, /UlfR, as regards the ethics, but I
agree with Marily, here.  It's not really a 'con', and even if it were,
they are grown-ups and can say 'no'.  It's more a gradual introduction to
a new thing.  If it appeals, and an interest is awakened, the person is
better off.  They may not know they'd find this interesting, as we do.
You Europeans have no idea of the way classical culture can be abased in
the USA.  I love my country, but for many areas of life-style, I prefer
living in Europe.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com
Master Chirurgeon, Companion des Lindquistrings, Princess' Order of
Courtesy