SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #701

Christina van Tets ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Mon May 4 09:10:25 PDT 1998

UlfR asked if we should be trying to convince members of the 'mundane'
world to come to feasts by serving them modern food.

If we end up with people who feel
authenticity is not really important then it quickly disappears (in my
experience - I have been involved in very small groups setting up from
scratch)

On the other hand, a group of two fanatics is not really a group at all.

There is a fine line which needs to be walked (and not just with food)
between the two extremes. I have found that the best things to do are set
an example by striving for authenticity, encouraging and helping others
to do the same, and when they get it wrong (we all do) explaining
carefully, politely, and constructively why. The fastest way to stop
people trying is to cut them down - and that can only be done to those
who have put themselves out to try in the first place, the very people
who are making progress and should be encouraged.

Charles Ragnar