SC - homemade mustard

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Mon May 4 04:27:48 PDT 1998

<< Campanula sounds pretty close, doesn't it? Can you tell me anything about
 them?  This was in the perennial section.  Can you do anything with them,
 for food etc.?  I was looking for Bell flowers, and they had some blue
 but no white>>

Campanula IS Bellflowers.  They are shortlived perennials/ biennials,
depending on the variety.  Not edible to my knowledge.

<<Hope to sneak an herb plant or two in the wildflower area.
  You gardeners out there:  if you were starting a mixed sort of garden,
 flowers, etc., but mostly perennial--what plants would you want to put in
 for cooking/preserving/even medicinal purposes? >>

Edibles:
All these flower nicely, too:
Camomile (tiny daisy like flowers), Bee Balm (in a CONTAINER), Sage,
Primroses, Violets/ Johnny Jump Ups, Strawberries (front row & if you don't
want spreaders, grow Alpine ones)

Less showy flowers:
Spearmint (in a CONTAINER), Lemon Balm (in a CONTAINER and DOWNHILL from areas
you don't want seeded with it), French Sorrel, Rosemary, Thymes,

Large & untidy:
Borage, Lovage

Medicinals: Feverfew, Yarrow (Achillea millefolia), Veronicas

The above are just my favorites...

~~Minna Gantz <KALLYR at aol.com>