SC - Quince chestnut fritters

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Mon May 4 05:41:44 PDT 1998

You Europeans have no idea of the way classical culture can be abased in
the USA.  I love my country, but for many areas of life-style, I prefer
living in Europe.

Vivat, Allison!

I lived in both Paris and St Malo for a short time. My favorite times were
spent wandering in museums and art galleries[and more than a few
chateaux...] and it was amazing to me that kids would wander in without
being dragged in by parents or schools just to look around at the exhibits.
I can't remember the last time I saw a kid not firmly in tow by a teacher in
a museum-unless it was in a family of tourists. I go to the Wadsworth
Atheneum to look at the garb in the paintings for ideas to do, and usually
during the weekdays it is me, a few art students and the docents, with a
curater or 2 lurking in the background. Despite the prevalence of
subscriptions to National Geographic, Smithsonian and Natural History
magazines[ the last on being for the Museum of Natural History in NY] on
coffee tables in the US, most people don't seem to care. I tink most
subscriptions are 'vanity subscriptions'-look great on the coffee table and
make you seem more cultured and educated than you are. I was a member for
years, and went to a few of the member only events, which unless they were
spectacular like the Incan Gold or the Treasures of Tutankamun were rather
sparsely attended.
margali
[and don't get me started on describing the reactions of the salespeople for
frozen food suppliers who couldnt understand my liking for doing my shopping
daily just to get what was fresh and nifty on any given day!]