SC - is medieval food yucky?

Mon May 4 12:02:51 PDT 1998

Rolled oats are a cracked and flattened oat kernal produced by roller
milling, a modern process.  In period, oats would most likely be used as
oatmeal (a coarse oat flour) or as whole oats.  Oats were one of the
foodstuffs of the poor, as it was commonly used as animal fodder.  General
use was more common in Northern Europe, where oats grew well and wheat
didn't.

English Bread and Yeast Cookery is one of the finest volumes on breadmaking
ever assembled.  The historical information is quite accurate.

Bear