SC - Bread Book

THL Renata THLRenata at aol.com
Mon May 4 17:45:57 PDT 1998

On Mon, 4 May 1998 04:20:17 EDT, Kallyr wrote:

>Oh. Please share this recipe.  It sounds perfect & simple.  Just the original
>is fine.

Ok - this is from the text reprinted in "The Original Mediterranean
Cuisine", so the copyright for the translation may belong to the author of
that book...

The author also made the assumption that "tips of fresh cabbage", in a
recipe entitled "Green Cabbage" probably meant something akin to
broccoli...

Green Cabbage with meat  (Cauli Verdi con Carne)
- - Libro Della Cocina
- ----------------
Take the tips of fresh cabbage, and throw them into the boiling pot with
the meat, and boil them;  then take them out and put in cold water.  Then
take another lot of stock in another pot, and add the white part of fennel;
and when it is time to eat, add the said cabbage to the previous pot, and
bring it to the boil, and then add chicken stock, or oil.
- ----------------

I boiled 2 heads of fennel with about 500g of broccoli per table, in a huge
pot of stock.  I boiled them for abour 5 minutes, removed them, washed them
under cold water, and then put them back into the same stock for another 5
minutes.  I assumed that the change of stock was superfluous with modern
washed vegetables :)

The second batch of broccoli and fennel I cooked didn't get parboiled first
- - it just took too much time - but they still tasted fine.

- -Korny
- --
Kornelis Sietsma   http://zikzak.net/~korny  icq: 2039172
  e-mail: korny at zikzak.net  or  korny at a2.com.au