SC - Chopped Liver/ Pate

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Mon May 4 19:47:17 PDT 1998

On Mon, 4 May 1998 08:41:44 -0400, marilyn traber wrote:

>Chestnut fritters? Tell me more...I have about 2 cups of sweetened chestnut
>puree in my freezer left over from Christmas..and I like finding new ways to
>use it. So far my favorite way is to take squares of puff pastry, blop in
>some cream cheese/egg/sugar danish filling and top with the puree, close it
>up and bake[or just roll out the puff pastry, spread it on and pop in the
>oven to bake into allumettes...]

Well, I've got my sources with me today, so here is what I used.

The original is as follows (this is from the webbed version of Le Managier,
and is (c) Janet Hinson )

- -------------------
RISSOLES ON A FISH DAY. Cook chestnuts on a low fire and peel them, and
have hard-cooked eggs and peeled cheese and chop it all up small; then pour
on egg yolks, and mix in powdered herbs and a very little free-running
salt, and make your rissoles, then fry in lots of oil and add sugar.[104]

And note, in Lent, instead of eggs and cheese, put in cooked whiting and
sciaena, chopped very small, or the flesh of pike or eels, and chopped figs
and dates.

Item, on ordinary days, they can be made of figs, grapes, chopped apples
and shelled nuts to mimic pignon nuts, and powdered spices: and the dough
should be very well saffroned, then fry them in oil. If you need a liaison,
starch binds and so does rice. Item, the flesh of sea lobster is good
instead of meat.
- -------------------

Hmm - on re-reading this again, it *does* mention dough - and note [104]
says :
[104]A 15th-century English recipe for dried-fruit rissoles gives more
detail on making them: "then take fine paste of flour and
water, sugar, saffron and salt, and make fair cakes thereof; then roll
thine stuff in thine hand and couch it in the cakes and cut
it, and fold them in ryshews, and fry them up in oil; and serve forth hot."
(EGC)

So maybe I should have made them in pastry after all :)

Anyway, I used (per table) 2 eggs, 120g of cheese, and about 350g of
unpeeled chestnuts, or about 225g peeled.   Chop and mix this all together
with ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt, and deep fry.

Originally I used a mixture of hard boiled eggs and raw egg as in the
original, but eventually I just used raw egg - it made the mixture goopy,
but still firm enough to form into balls and fry.  And I hadn't the time to
boil the eggs :)

- -Korny
- --
William Bekwith MKA Kornelis Sietsma | http://zikzak.net/~korny