SC - Chinese Middle Ages & Ras' attitude

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Mon May 4 20:04:07 PDT 1998

>      Are the jars sealed just through the heat of the cooked melon and
>      syrup?  Does it have to pressure cook also, or do you just wait for
>      the lids to dimple?
>
>      Mercedes

The book predates the all encompassing instruction to pressure seal
everything, in fact it instructs sealing the jars with paraffin. I haven't
made the cantaloupe, but for all other jams and jellies and preserves, I put
the lid on, twist the seal ring tight, flip them over and stand them on the
lid, and expect to hear the lid "pop" down almost immediately. (why?  Mom did
it that way.) If they don't dimple, I boil in a water bath, or plan to serve
those jars soon.  Don't own a pressure canner.

bonne