SC - Researching bread coffyns

Mon May 4 20:08:44 PDT 1998

#182,>"Chared coneys, or chardwardon". The spiced paste is stored in a
box >strewn>with powdered ginger & cinnamon.  It is used in the recipe
for Mawmene>(Harl. MS. 4016, #99), where it is dissolved in wine and used
to color >&>flavor a sauce for pheasant.  It is also used in Perys en
Composte >(Harl.>279, #35).>
>HTH,
>>>Cindy Renfrow        >renfrow at skylands.net

Aha!  Weren't we recently talking about a red sauce?  The quince paste
I've eaten--bought, I recall, in an Oriental grocery store--was a red
color.  More orangey red than crimson, but dissolved in red wine....

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com
Master Chirurgeon, Companion des Lindquistrings, Princess' Order of
Courtesy