SC - PBJ-OT-OOP-SILLY

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Mon May 4 21:11:34 PDT 1998

There is an excellent article on the subject by Lady Aoife in Stefan's
Florilegium, which can be found at:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

The medieval coffin was more likely a pastry dough of flour and water with
possibly some salt or lard or both mixed in.  In general, bread doughs would
be too soft, although focaccia dough could easily have been used to make
small filled breads.

Markham's The English Hous-wife (1615) gives the following recipe:

Of the Mixture of Paste . . . Your course Wheat-crust should be kneaded with
hot water, or Mutton broth, and good store of butter, and the paste made
stiffe and tough, because the Coffin must be deep.

The Good Huswifes Handmaid (1588) provides:

To make Paste another Way   Take butter and ale, and seeth them together;
then take your flower, and put there into three egs, saffron and salt.

These two recipes are not medieval, but Elizabethean, and may not be in any
way similar to the pastry for most medieval pies.

Bear