SC - Re: SC: Watermelon Rind

geneviamoas@juno.com geneviamoas at juno.com
Mon May 4 21:12:42 PDT 1998

In a message dated 5/4/98 3:37:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, CorwynWdwd at aol.com
writes:

<< But is there any documentation that PB&J was used for other than
entertainment
 purposes? Ot in fact that PB&J are what we know today as Peanut Butter and
 Jelly? Opps! Wrong list!!! >>

There are a few references that I don't have readily available that mention a
type of PB that may have contained chunks of P's in it. Does anyone have any
have period examples of this form of PB and how it may have been prepared?

I also have found a recipe found in a book entitled "The Cookery of Ethipia"
dated approximately 25 BGC (Before Getting a Clue). A similar manuscript
called Ethiopian Cookery-A Digest dated  37 AGC (After Getting a Clue).  It
appears as if both recipes were some sort of stew or soup which contained not
only PB but also the now extinct chickenus styrofoamus. Although ther two
recipes a very similar, one of them makes reference to a diagram which is
basically a circle with what appear to be  smaller dots or cicles scattered
within the circumference. Is there a surving manuscript which still
containsthis picture or an archived facsimile?.

The recipe from 37 AGC also mentions something called a "jalepeno" which, IIRC
is the seedpod of a now unknown plant apparently widely used in as a
seasoning. Also, does anyone know if use of PB as an ingredient in c.
tyrofoamus recipes was wide spread or localized?

As I am recreating a Titanic Feast this weekend, any info you could share
would be most appreciated You may contact me privately if you do not wish to
bore the list . Thank-you in advance for sharing this knowledge with me.

Robert Smith, Mr.
Borough of Middletown
State of Penns Woods