SC - autumn feast report (long)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon May 4 23:55:46 PDT 1998

At 10:45 AM -0700 5/4/98, cassie wrote:

>This discussion reminds me of a feast I worked on a couple of years ago.
>I did a course entirely derived from recipes found in Apicius. When I
>held the tasting for the course, the comments that were made was how
>ordinary the food seemed. The dishes that I served were:
>
>Broiled Red Snapper in a Red Wine sauce
>Chicken in a cream sauce over pasta
>Cucumber salad
>Herbed Peas
>Pinenut Custard

Were you working from Vehling's translation? If so, the ordinaryness of the
recipes might in part reflect the translator--who was, I believe, a
professional cook, and "interpreted" pretty broadly. Unless I am mistaken,
whether pasta existed in classical antiquity is still an open question.

>There are a lot of period recipes for food that should be appealing
>to most modern appetites, and are simple to make.

Absolutely.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/