SC - Dried currents

Kornelis Sietsma korny at zikzak.net
Tue May 5 00:50:28 PDT 1998

Hello List,
I realise that I stand in danger of being called a "spoon tease" (great
term), but I am flying interstate in a few hours and do not have the time to
type in the details of all of these, so this is a promissary to provide the
rest when I am back again in a week or so... honest...

TOMC = The Original Mediterranean Cuisine
TFCC = Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books

Quinces...
Quince Paste TOMC
Quince Pies (The Good Huswife's Handmaid, 1594)
Stewed Quinces in Red Wine TOMC
Quince puree with Almonds TOMC
Pureed Quinces TFCC

Claudia Roden's "A New Book of Middle Eastern Food" makes reference to
quinces being used in Al Bahgdadi's recipies but does not give an example.
Perhaps Cariadoc can supply details... Incidentally, this is an excellent
book containing many wonderful period recipies all of which taste fabulous
(but then I love this type of food).

Beef Stew (no carrots though)
Beef y-stewed (TFCC)
Take fayre beef of the rybbes of the forequarters, an smyte in fayre pecys,
and wasche the beef in-to a fayre potte; than take the water that the beef
was sothin yn an strayne it thorw a straynowr, an sette the same water and
beef in a potte, an let hem boyle to-gederys; than take canel, clowes,
maces, graynys of parise, quibibes, an oynons y-mynced, perceli, an sawge,
an caste ther-to an let hem boyle to-gederys; an than take a lof of brede,
an stepe it with brothe an venegre, an than draw it thorw a straynoure, and
let it be stylle; an whan it is nere y-now, caste the lycour ther-to, but
nowt to moche, an than let boyle onys, an cast safroun ther-to a quantyte;
than take salt an venegre, and cast ther-to, an loke that it be poynant
y-now, a serue forth.

Asparagus...
Fried Asparagus TOMC
Aspargus with Shallots TOMC

Fennel...
Fennel and Leek TOMC
Broccili with Fennel TOMC

I have some others too which I will try and dig up. Talk to you all again in
a week or so...

Rowan

Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia