SC - Re: EK Crown Feast

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue May 5 10:15:56 PDT 1998

Good morning, all!

I'm not really in full position [yet] to comment extensively on the EK
Crown Tourney Feast, since I'm in the midst of software problems
(something my computer ate is disagreeing with it, more or less). I've
had to rebuild an OS specifically designed to get online and do not much
else. Anyway, I _am_ planning to post the menu, a pretty extensive set
of notes, recipes both in their original text, or an approximation
thereof, as well as a modern redaction. I'm junot completely certain
when this will happen. Look for it in the next 24 hours, at any rate.

In the mean time, I can't let Lord Ras' touching comments go
unaddressed. I'm glad that people were impressed. I had hoped people
would get to see just how beautiful our work could be, and instead, I
gather I demonstrated what people regarded as an impressive ability to
handle (or at least continue to function under) what seemed like a
ceaseless barrage of emergencies. It's traditional at times like this to
assign blame to either the head cook or the autocrat. In all fairness
I'll do neither. Sometimes you simply plan for every conceivable
contingency, do absolutely everything right, and things still go wrong.

Lowlights include a fairly dangerous car accident, delivery of most of
the lunch foods at around 1PM, a set of new pots stamped from shiny
aluminum foil, guaranteed to make even water stick and burn after 30
seconds on low heat, badly calibrated ovens, and a populace who simply
refused to read the menu and feast notes posted all the heck over the
place (my usual kitchen "bouncer" was away squiring his knight and
fighting in the Tourney). There was also one minor and one significant
problem with the site contacts, who are absolutely lovely people in
every respect, but suffice it to say that there were misunderstandings
in areas we had all thought were clearly settled, resulting in there
being about 20% of the refrigeration space we had planned on.There's
more, which, for quite a few reasons, I won't go into.

As I say, we all thought we had planned for everything, and then
everything _else_ happened. Still, we managed to pull quite a few
rabbits out of our hats, so most everybody had a good time anyway, even
though the feast was, to me, the worst one I've done in 14 years. I
guess I'm just a bit, well, wistful over What Might Have Been.

Anyway, recipes, documentation, redactions, etc. willl follow, probably
later today. In the mean time I'll say that it was a positive pleasure
working with Lor Ras, Lady Philippa Farrour, and all the other cooks who
came to work on this project. More on that later, too.

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com