SC - period food turns people away?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue May 5 10:31:56 PDT 1998

At 10:01 AM -0400 5/5/98, Ceridwen wrote:
>sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG wrote:
>
>> YES!! Please. Thank you. - Genevia
>>

>   Ok, here you are:
>
>A text on Portuguese cooking from the Fifteenth Century (trans. Jane L.
>Crowley, 1988)
>
>Doce de Abobora (Pumpkin/squash sweets)

Two notes:

1. This text is no longer included in volume II of my collection, because I
realized that an English translation based on a modern Portuguese
translation was covered by the modern Portuguese translator's copyright;
I'll put it back in when I get someone to redo it from the original.

2. "Pumpkin/squash" is a misleading term, since all of our pumpkins and
squashes are from the New World. Our best guess is that such recipes refer
to Lageneria, the white flowered gourd, varieties of which are still used
in Chinese cooking and (I think) as an ornamental. The "Italian edible
gourd" may also be lageneria. (sp?)

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/