SC - Period Greek food

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Wed May 6 02:32:10 PDT 1998

Korny, et al,

If I may quote Barbara Santich, p. 116:

	"...But even cabbage offered some variety--there was green
cabbage and white cabbage and even broccoli by the fifteenth century.
	In the text it is not clear what exactly is intended by 'green
cabbage', nor by _cime_--which could refer to the tips of the cabbage or
to the inflorescence, (what is this, Adamantius? the flower of the
plant?) which might have meant broccoli.  In these recipes I have used
both."

She gives another recipe for cabbage with fennel and apple.  I have often
heard prople say that broccoli is not period.  If someone has actual
documentation for broccoli, I, for one, would love to have it.  Of
course, it would depend on which countries for what date...  My Italian
dictionary does give 'tip' as the meaning for _cima_ but also lists
'head' (as in lettuce).

Since His Grace does not include broccoli in his Miscellany under Late
Period or Out of Period foods, perhaps he has some sources for it?

It's my favorite vegetable--hope I can feast on it with impunity!

Regards,

Lady Allison
allilyn at juno.com
Master Chirurgeon, Orden des Linquistringes, Princess' Order of Courtesy