SC - Mid 15th Century Mongolian food

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Wed May 6 09:21:48 PDT 1998

Excuse me, may I point out that this is largely apocryphal.  Catherine de'
Medici was 14 when she wed Prince Henry of France.  Her immediate family had
been in exile from Florence and were of limited means at this time.  She had
been a hostage in convents in Florence for most of four years.

The marriage was arranged by her uncle, Pope Leo X.  He escorted her to
France.  The retinue was his and returned with him to Italy.

Catherine's influence on French cuisine truly began 27 years after her
marriage when she was regent (1560-63) then adviser (1563-74) to her younger
son Charles IX.  It was in this period that Catherine imported Italian
cooks, produced new dishes, and changed the style of European dining.

None of which alters the charm of the story, just the basic facts.

Bear