Giving people choices (was Re: SC - period food turns people away?)

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed May 6 11:47:30 PDT 1998

Though gingerly avoiding this topic, I was struck by an interesting coincidence:

Take margali's statement below.  Remove the references to food and substitute references to garb.

> I will still say it is better to make a person comfortable for a day trip > by
> serving them beans and wienies, if that is what they will eat-as long > as
> they are comfortable enough to enjoy themselves and decide to > come back
> again.

I wouldn't attempt to put someone in full Tudor for their first event, either.  I'd loan them one of my ubiquitous cotton T-tunics and let
them wear their own jeans, sneakers and belt.  At the same time, I'd take them around and point out what lovely garb others were wearing
- --not to make them feel uncomfortable or embarrassed, but simply to fire up their imaginations.

I might not go as far as beanieweenies, but I would probably smuggle in a mundane deli sandwich and chips for my new friend, and allow
him or her to graze at leisure from my period/perioid buffet luncheon as well.  If s/he gets grossed out by the stuffed dates, cold game birds and so forth, her/his loss.  But I wouldn't let her/him starve, either...

Just my US$.02; now I'll don my asbestos kirtle and wait...  <G>

Always,

	- kat