SC - Fw: Mongolian Society

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Wed May 6 21:11:24 PDT 1998

>On the other
hand, when I'm running an event, I wouldn't serve deli sandwiches and
chips just so newcomers would be comfortable with the food--and that's
what the original statement seemed to me to advocate.

toodles, margaret

This was my original post:
I am not arguing the tastiness of period cooking, but my house has a habit
of bringing in people who have never been to an event and medieval is 'Men
in Tights', many of whom, as I said thing a dayboard[read picnic] is hot
dogs and hamburgers, potato salad and a bucket of the Colonel's best. Many
mundanes who are willing to come, if they don't HAVE to dress 'funny' and
eat weird food will not come if they won't be able to eat the familiar
foods.

As to getting them to eat medieval food, generally once we have gotten them
interested in coming for the fighting shopping and wandering around, then we
hook them into doing an off board camping event and sneaking the funny foods
in on them there and when they come over to garbing sessions. Sneaky, ain't
we?
margali

As you may see, I was discussing my household's habits of inviting people we
know, and providing a dayboard-still in household-that will be palatable for
them. I also mentioned that we know a number of people who would not have
come to events and eaten foods they were not familiar with. At no time did I
suggest that the event provide a mundane dayboard for their convenience. I
simply said that it is easy enough on an individual level to accommodate
guests who would enjoy the SCA not by jumping in with both feet but by
letting them dabble their toes around the edges and getting them hooked on
us for our other merits.

margali