SC - Garlic

Erin Kenny Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca
Fri May 8 02:48:46 PDT 1998

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Hi all from Anne-Marie
<snip>

>  Avoid wines in a box, or with a screw cap.

Am, the last wine I bought was a nice red (ug I'm at work and its 6:30 in
the morning and I can't remember if it was a Cabernet or Bordueau) by
Kressman from France and it had a screw cap.  Which in my case is a good
thing. Being a single person I don't use a whole bottle at one meal and
the screw cap makes it easier to keep the leftover wine for the next time.
(I'm talking about the next day or two, not weeks or months later.)

(And now that I have it, it doesn't matter if the next wine I buy has a
screw cap or cork, I'll have a good bottle to store the leftover in.)(I
had to replace my old screw cap bottle, my mother was being "helpful" and
put in the recycling when I wasn't looking.)

Also, if you are cooking for a crowd, (ie feast) if you look at the
bottles carefuly, you will find that while the smaller bottles (750 ml
or 1 litre sizes)  have corks, the same wine in a larger bottle will have
a screw cap.  Does that mean that the same wine is better in one size bottle
than an other?

> The adage is right...if its nasty wine, it will do nasty things to your
> food, especially after you cook it and intensify the flavors. Why ruin
> perfectly good food? Ask the wine seller person...it will be quicly
> apparent if they know what they're tqlking about! Also, you can often
> contact your local papers "living" section, where they'll have wine
> reviews.

Many of the fine food magazines carry reviews too, and there are a few
magazines about wine as well.

Isobel fitz Gylbert

(Who lives in British Columbia, Canada and wishes she could buy wine in
the grocery store.)